Sunday, April 5, 2009

Barcos de Vela

The sailboat blanket is finished. My self-imposed deadline was set for last night but hey, I gave myself a break since my hands were starting to stiffen up, so I jumped on the computer instead.
Once again excuse the lighting in the photo. The spotlight I used was moderately helpful.

I added a crochet border...

to compliment the sail boats.

The Specs

Pattern: Come Sail Away Baby Blanket by Suzanne Veta
Yarn: Bernat Baby Sport in pale blue and Caron Simply Soft in white
Needles: US circular 8 and crochet hook size G6.
Notes: I followed the pattern carefully by casting on the suggested number of stitches, but I used US8 circular needles instead of the US7 recommended, although the yarn label suggest US6. According to the pattern, the finished blanket is supposed to measure 28"x32", but my blanket turned out much smaller, 26" x 27" even though I used the larger sized needles and the stitches aren't very tight.
Also, I added two rows of single crochet in white as a border to compliment the blue yarn. Right now, I'm thinking of adding a flannel backing to make the blanket warmer and to weigh it down a bit. If I were to make this blanket again, I would add an additional sailboat pattern to the width and use a thicker yarn.

Since I have a lot of yarn leftover, I'm thinking of making a matching hat and maybe booties.
Bon Voyage!

*Can you name the three different languages used in this post?

3 comments:

Kara said...

So cute! And the matching accessories is a great idea.

*Spanish, French, English

Philigry said...

this came out so good. i love the idea of matching hat and booties!

Lulu said...

thats lovely.
have a good day, stay cool..