Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A Buck Goes A Long Way

...or at least in the middle east, it goes a long way and beyond.
The Pioneer Woman held her ever-popular "smartypants" quiz on her blog the other day.
She posted six aerial pictures of notable locations and the first person to identify all six correctly won a gift card from amazon.com.
After looking at the pictures I realized I only knew three out of the six. My brain is turning into mush. Of course, I did what any good sleuth would do...I googled!

The aerial view below was picture #1... I thought it was the Florida Keys...wrong!
When the answers were revealed I found out it was Palm Island in Dubai, UAE.
This is what happens when you have too much money...you MAKE your own island and build mansions on strips of sand.

If you would like a closer look you can google map it and zoom in or read about it on wikipedia - Palm Jumeirah. Many of the mini-mansions/villas have swimming pools in their yards, even though they are literally a few feet away from the water!
Don't get me wrong, I think it's amazing someone can actually build an island and develop the land with hotels and villas but, I wonder if these people ever had to worry about student loans?
I highly doubt it. (just a random thought)

1 comment:

Val said...

I think there are some people that just have too much money! ha! It is sure not me.