Sunday, September 13, 2009

Grandparent's Day

Did you know today is Grandparent's Day?

I only knew about it because I saw it on my calendar. I've always known Grandparent's had their own day of celebration, and rightfully so, but I didn't know the exact date or much of its origin, so I researched it on the internet. This is the information I found, but if you would like to read more about it click here.
When is Grandparents Day? Grandparents Day is celebrated each year on the first Sunday after Labor Day. The specific date changes year-to-year. Because it is tied to Labor Day, however, Grandparents Day is never earlier than September 7 or later than September 13.... more info
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Since I no longer have any living grandparents, I have spiritually adopted Valerie's grandmother, Granny.
First of all, if you're not familiar with Valerie, let me introduce you to her.
She is an incredible woman, that does it all. She has raised four beautiful children, showers her grandchildren with love while passing onto them her southern traditions, grows an impressive garden, renovates houses, enjoys fishing and traveling with her husband, volunteers at her church and shares recipes on her food blog.
Wow! I can only aspire to accomplish this much in my life.
So, as the story goes, while bloghopping one day, I came across her blog Lifes Little Garden and like they say, the rest is history.
Valerie is very generous with her personal life especially with stories about her Granny.
Granny has been featured on her blog many times and along with many bloggers, I have fallen in love with Granny and her sweet soul. I informed Valerie that I have spiritually adopted Granny (hope she doesn't mind) and this is why.
Granny is 95 years young and follows a daily routine that entails, reading her bible, making her lunch, (depending on the day-of-the-week) doing some laundry, and making precious quilts.
With the help of a digital camera, we get to come along with Valerie on her visits with Granny.
On one particular Granny post, I saw a stack of quilts in one of the photos and wondered if they were for sale. Ask and you shall receive. I was so excited when Valerie informed me that Granny was selling them if I was interested. I gave her my color preferences and sent-off the check. Before I knew it, I had my quilt and I love, love, love it!

Valerie recently shared two videos of Granny finishing a quilt on her sewing machine. It was so touching to see this sweet lady so focused on her project, all the while blessing it with her love of creating something from the heart. I feel so fortunate to own one. I lovingly call mine Granny's Prayer Quilt. Every night I have it with me and as I say my prayers I include Granny and consider myself blessed...our paths crossed for a reason and He only knows why.
So, Happy Grandparents Day to Granny and all the Grandparents who are lucky enough to be surrounded by their loved ones today.

11 comments:

Val said...

Oh my goodness. You have touched my heart. Tears. Thank you is not enough. You are so sweet. I am speechless. Can you imagine that????

Alice Grace said...

Thank you for commenting so beautifully on my lovely daughter, Valerie, and her Grandmother. Valerie loves sharing her life and she has done such a beautiful blog on her life and interests. I can only say I am a very proud mother to have such a talented and loving daughter. I do enjoy your blog as well, and thank you for your posts.
Valerie's MOM

Michelle said...

What a beautiful post about Valerie and Granny. The world is filled with wonderful people!
be blessed,
Michelle

Anonymous said...

I found Valerie and her mom and of course, Granny, a few months ago and realized we all live fairly close to one another in Georgia! One day on Alice Grace's blog I recognized the pastor of Valerie's daughter's church as being the brother of my lifetime girlfriend!!! (small world) I know you must feel surrounded by love when you lay down at night with Granny's beautiful quilt - truly a labor of love and we all feel blessed to share this amazing woman. God has certainly used her mightily to touch so many lives. This was a wonderful post and I am going to visit more of your posts. Wishing you a good week.

Susannah said...

What beautiful and special words about Valerie and her Granny! They are so blessed to have each other and now, we know and love Granny, too.

Your post is heartwarming. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Friends,
Susannah

grandmarockton said...

YES we'd all be lucky to have a Granny like this and a VALERIE in our lives!

Darla said...

Good Grief~~where are the tissues? Valerie and I have been following each other for about a year now. You could not have described her any better~~~truly an amazing woman and I LOVE Granny too...

Anonymous said...

How very sweet. You are truly blessed to have such a beautiful quilt from such a talented woman.

Jocelyn said...

What a very beautiful post about Valerie's Granny. I have to agree with you that both Granny and Valerie are very special ladies. Thanks for taking the time to write such a special tribute.

*karendianne. said...

You do great honor to Valerie and her Grandmother and the precious place known as Life's Little Garden.

Upon reading your post I could tell you truly have adopted Granny. You know so much about her and Valerie and how the days go. You've obviously read all the posts. What a delightful gift you are to Valerie and her Granny. Just goes to show when things are planted in the Garden, they grow.

Warmly and respectfully, *karendianne.

Midtown Girl said...

Just wanted to tell you how amazingly sweet your comment was!! I totally appreciate it and am so glad you commented!

Sometimes it's tough to leave notes on everyone's blog bc there are so many - but you are awesome for doing so darling!!

And your blog is adorable ;-)

XOXO MG