Monday, July 20, 2009

Another Week

The madras skirt I thought would take me a day or two to whip up, actually took me a week... mainly because I kept having to make adjustment and combining patterns. I wore it once to the store, but as soon as I got home, I took my seam ripper to it and began changing the waistline and added a snap.
This is the finished skirt and after fussing with the hem several times, I tried it on for the last time and I've finally put it away.

This is the pattern I used for the yoke of the skirt; the bottom is a straight cut.
I learned an important lesson during the making of this skirt.... choose your fabric wisely.
The madras fabric was not ideal for this style because of the print and the seams from the squares, it makes the yoke look odd and bulky.

I'm hoping to make another skirt using the same pattern, but this time I'm going to stick with the pleated bottom instead of the straight skirt and an almost-solid color, or maybe something with a small print.

Now, onto something much more exciting!
The new season of Project Runway is starting August 20th!
This year the show was filmed at the FIDM campus in Los Angeles.
When I attended FIDM, a very long time ago, our classes were held in the Barker Brothers building on 7th and Figueroa Street. Now there's a fancy-shmancy building with grass and everything! Oooh! Actually, I toured the campus when it had just opened and it's very nice.

Okay kids, get ready and let the countdown begin.

1 comment:

Kara said...

So cute! I love it. I love with sewing that you can keep adjusting things until you get the perfect fit. Sometimes with knitting that is not the case.

Can't wait for Project Runway! Hurrah!