Sunday, October 17, 2010

Through the Eyes of a 6 year old

I've been somewhat busy lately, but not too busy to post, so I'm not sure what my excuse is... this time. :-}
For the past week, I've spent time with a class of 6 and 7 year old students. Before starting this assignment, I was informed there were a few handfuls among the cute bambinos, and there were, but they were manageable... probably the reason I came home exhausted on Friday, but I love it.
Looking at the world through the eyes of a 6 year old is pretty darn fascinating.
The school is located in a neighborhood with a few questionable areas and on several occasions students have shared stories with me about burglaries and violence.
The other day, for one of their writing assignments, the students had to write about, and share, what they want to be when they grow up. Most of the students wanted to be teachers. We also had a doctor in the house, a soldier, we even had the future President of the USA (he wants to make the rules... can't say I blame him), and not surprisingly, there were quite a few police officers among them.
I thought I would share a paper written by one of San Diego's finest and future Police Officers, Officer Alex... in the year 2024, of course.
His paper is a little hard to read (click on pic), but he basically wrote that he wanted to be a police officer so he could have a gun and a telephone. The telephone part made me laugh, but...
Later that day, he shared with me a story about a break-in at his house. He told me they stole his Wii and dvds. I felt horrible for him and his family. No one should ever have to come home and find out their safe place had been invaded by a stranger, especially a child. But, it wasn't until later that I made the connection as to why he wanted to become a police officer. He talked about it and he wrote about it. I call that self-therapy.
The next day he came to school in good spirits and informed me his parents were going to buy him a new Wii. :-)
Though this story was a bit of a downer in the beginning, it has a happy ending with a bit of humor. When I looked at his drawing a little closer, I couldn't help but notice the police officer he drew was catching a thief at the neighborhood donut shop! Yumi donuts!
You gotta love this kid.

Have a safe and happy week. :-)

4 comments:

Kara said...

Wow. What a sweet experience. (Not the part where they were burgled, obviously.)

Midtown Girl said...

What a darling kid!! Love reading stories like this doll <3

Val said...

Imagine what he thought when someone got his Wii! We just bought one and I am already hooked. That is so pitiful yet so cute. We got robbed when I was young and I will always remember how scared that I was. Hey did you sign up for Mom's give away?

Moonlight Serenade said...

That must have been so scary for him, but that's really sweet that he wants to be a police officer :)