Friday, July 9, 2010

Summer Road Trip 2010

My friend "Nina B" and I put on our traveling pants and hit the road, bright and early Thursday (Where's my coffee?), and headed north.
Destination: The J. Paul Getty Museum.
If you ever find yourself vacationing in the Los Angeles area, you must visit this glorious museum.

The architecture throughout the center leaves you in awe.
Not even the grayness of the sky kept the shadows from transforming into artistic installations. As we toured one gallery after another, each building was illuminated by the many strategically placed windows and skylights.

As you arrive, volunteers lead you to a platform where a tram takes you up to the museums; four buildings filled with beautiful art.

I'm not sure what's happening with the California weather, but it was unusually chilly for a summer day. The first photograph overlooks Pacific Palisades and Malibu; the Pacific Ocean is behind the coastal fog. Later in the day, the fog burned off a little and the blue sky peeked through, but only for a short time.

I photostitched this photograph to show the extravagant design of the Central Gardens.

Throughout the museum you'll find European paintings, decorative furnishings, sculptures, and gorgeous tapestries.
I took as many pictures as my camera allowed me of all my favorite pieces, before the battery died.
I hope you enjoy the pictures.


Have a great weekend. :-)

1 comment:

Kara said...

Oh wow. MUST go here next time I am in LA. It is a marvelous museum.