Friday, January 16, 2009

PINK

For the longest time I've been trying to knit a nice pink scarf for my friend's mother.
Her mother is a breast cancer survivor and each year my friend generously donates to the San Diego Breast Cancer 3Day Walk, which in turn helps out my friend, Cathy - a three year participant. Unfortunately, Cathy's parents' lives were shortened because of cancer and a few years ago she decided to make it her mission to help raise money to find a cure to eliminate, stop and/or prevent cancer. Every year I send Cathy pink knitted scarves to help her reach her monetary goal and every year I promise my friends a scarf if they help her out by donating to the cause.
A couple of years ago, I made my friend the Heart Scarf by Stephannie Roy from Knitty as my way of saying thank you and showing my appreciation. She really liked it, as did her mom which prompted a request for a second Heart Scarf.
For some reason I can't bring myself to knit it again at this time. I want to give her something different, a little variety, so the search for a new scarf pattern got underway.

I was on a quest to find a nice semi-lacy scarf pattern. After several near misses and lots of frogging, I finally settled for a pattern that knit up nicely with my Vanna's Choice yarn in pink. The pattern is called, Alternating Leaf from my Big Book of Knitting Stitch Patterns.

Here are a couple of photos to show my progress. The edges needed a little steaming because they started to curl, but it's coming out nicely.

I really have to thank Jen for inspiring me to search for a pattern similar to the scarf she is knitting right now. Jen's scarf is called Siren Song and it's a pattern she designed herself. It has such a nice flow to it (leads you upward, as if climbing a ladder), but best of all the scarf is very colorful.

Additional research led me to Ravelry and found Kim Hargreaves Haven scarf. It's almost identical to my scarf except I left out the garter edge.
Just a few stats about my scarf...
Pattern: Alternating Leaf Pattern
Source: Big Book of Knitting Stitch Patterns
Yarn: Vanna's Choice yarn in pink
Needle Size: US 16" size 9 circular needles
Date Started: January 15, 2009

My goal is to finish by Monday night.
I think I can do it.
Wish me luck.
TGIF

2 comments:

Kara said...

What an amazing and special gift. I love the significance. And the scarf is very pretty too!

Anonymous said...

Gee! I'm so happy that I've inspired you. The scarf is gorgeous!