Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Trials

Sometimes you just need a little divine intervention to help you make it through the day.

Whenever there's a problem with my car, I panic and stress!
December 2008, I was in a car accident. The teenager that I hit was under the impression she owned the road and was completely at fault. Driving away with a few scratches on the side of her car, my car wasn't so lucky and it was declared a total loss. My insurance company pretty much paid me off and sent me on my way (my car is old and has over 200,000 miles). I should get a new car but I want to drive my car forever and until I win the lotto, it's not happening anytime soon. When the repair company called me to let me know the cost of repairs, they gave me an estimate and informed me it was going to get higher. I thought I was getting swindled and that evening I called someone from my insurance company and shared my concerns... and then... I cried. Bless the poor lady trying to help me out, but my tears might have helped me in the end, well sorta. The following Monday morning I got a call from, Pauly. He had the voice of a cigar-smoking, tobacco-chewing mechanic, but most importantly he had the patience of a saint. He stayed on the phone with me for an hour explaining the procedures and my wreck. He basically told me he was going to tell the guy to put my car back together and that I should drive my car until I run-it-to-the-ground, it's not worth putting more $$$ into it. Fast forward to this afternoon...

Today, after work, I was running my afternoon errands and my brakes gave out...not completely but enough to scare me into rethinking my Starbucks run. Now that is serious! Btw, my car is not a Toyota and I did get my coffee.
I dropped off my car at the neighborhood repair shop and got a ride home from the mechanic helping me out. I was so nervous and stressed about my little car I couldn't even concentrate on how cute he was... yup, he was hot.
Even though everything seems to be fine now, I'm still stressed, but it helps to write it out. Now I understand why so many bloggers share their stories online.
I know this is minor compared to the trials my other friends are experiencing right now and I want to send out good thoughts and prayers to you all. Hang in there! During times like these, I tend to call on the Lord and Archangel Michael for strength and patience. Things happen for a reason, but gosh darn it, why does it have to happen to me when I'm broke?

Anywho, I need to go into my happy place right now and that would be my knitting nook. I wanted to begin this post with a picture of Valerie's beautiful scarf, but it was bumped by my eventful afternoon, so here it is. I hope you don't mind me trying it on or sharing a picture of it, Valerie. Thank you for being so patient with me, I'll be sending it out soon, but I'm working on a second surprise for you.

For anyone planning on knitting this scarf, you may want to consider adding length and another bobble repeat on both ends. Once you slip it through the loop, it looses length and resembles an ascot, it's not a bad thing, just short... but it's very warm.

Have a safe and pleasant evening. :-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy Horse!

I'm just glad that your brakes didn't give out completely and that you're safe.

I'll say a little prayer tonight for you, that you and your car are reunited soon. :-)

Kara said...

How scary about your brakes! I will be sending you good car vibes. Hopefully you can feel better about things.

The scarf is so so pretty. Really lovely!

Val said...

Oh my goodness! All these stories about brakes and floor mats and gas petals. Your story would scare me too. But oh I love your happy place. I need to go to my happy place too. I LOVE my scarf!! You are so good. I can't wait. A second surprise??? Wow. Thank you so much.

Lulu said...

oh god, i feel your pain..i had to get my brakes done a few weeks ago..i cant tell you how shocked i was when he told me how much it would be..on top of it, i needed a new battery...I almost broke down and was stressed out..when i think about it, i still want to cry..
sending you loving hugs and prayers..

Two Cables and a Frapp said...

All prayers are with you. Why do these things happen when they happen ?
I'm sure all will turn out well and thank goodness you are a strong person. -- Now, about this scarf ! It is beautiful. I would like to make it and thank you for the advice on making it longer.